The History of Skaalen

In 1896, Norwegian immigrants Gjermund and Rebecca Skaalen gave 120 acres of their farmland near Pleasant Springs to the Norwegian Lutheran Synod for the purpose of building a home for the aged. Skaalen Nursing Home opened in January of 1900, the home to forty men and women who spent their final years in an environment of Christian care and comfort.

On Sunday, March 31, 1946, Skaalen was destroyed by fire. All of the residents either walked or were carried to safety. It was never a question of whether to rebuild, but where. The original acreage was sold and 40 acres were purchased at the edge of Stoughton. In 1950, the initial wing of Skaalen opened at North Morris Street.

Skaalen expanded quickly in response to community need. In 1960, the third floor was added to the center section; in 1969, the Bragstad Chapel was built; by 1970 the East Wings were completed.

In 1984, the first phase of Vennevoll condominiums opened, and by 1989, Vennevoll was completed. Between 1995 and 1997, Skaalendal condominiums were built. In 1998, The Friendship Circle walkway and courtyard were completed in the Memory Wing. In 2004, realizing the increasing popularity of condominium living for independent adults, Skaalen Village was built at the edge of nearby McFarland.

Today, Skaalen Retirement Services is one of Dane County's largest long-term and rehabilitative care facilities, giving a continuum of nursing care, restorative therapy and housing options to more than 500 older adults and their families every year.

fjrigjwwe9r0page_content:mobile_content
In 1896, Norwegian immigrants Gjermund and Rebecca Skaalen gave 120 acres of their farmland near Pleasant Springs to the Norwegian Lutheran Synod for the purpose of building a home for the aged. Skaalen Nursing Home opened in January of 1900, the home to forty men and women who spent their final years in an environment of Christian care and comfort.

On Sunday, March 31, 1946, Skaalen was destroyed by fire. All of the residents either walked or were carried to safety. It was never a question of whether to rebuild, but where. The original acreage was sold and 40 acres were purchased at the edge of Stoughton. In 1950, the initial wing of Skaalen opened at North Morris Street.

Skaalen expanded quickly in response to community need. In 1960, the third floor was added to the center section; in 1969, the Bragstad Chapel was built; by 1970 the East Wings were completed.

In 1984, the first phase of Vennevoll condominiums opened, and by 1989, Vennevoll was completed. Between 1995 and 1997, Skaalendal condominiums were built. In 1998, The Friendship Circle walkway and courtyard were completed in the Memory Wing. In 2004, realizing the increasing popularity of condominium living for independent adults, Skaalen Village was built at the edge of nearby McFarland.

Today, Skaalen Retirement Services is one of Dane County's largest long-term and rehabilitative care facilities, giving a continuum of nursing care, restorative therapy and housing options to more than 500 older adults and their families every year.